Monday 5 May 2014

where I live - stumbling upon St Aidan's

My mum and I went for a walk along the river recently, crossed over the bridge, opened a gate and discovered an RSPB nature reserve 'St Aidan's'.

Having just moved to the area I've done tonnes of research online to get to know what's around, but nothing had come up about St Aidan's so it was quite a shock!

Situated on the old mining site, there is now a haven for birds and wildlife. The sound of squarks is quite incredible and yet it feels so peaceful and tranquil, with swans and ducks swimming in the reservoir and birds coming in to land. 

Although the RSPB have a visitor centre and signage, it's not currently run by the RSPB as there is a dispute about the land. Luckily for us, that means that it's relatively unknown and yet we can still access it at any time of day as it is an open space. It's literally a 10 - 15 minute walk from our house, so I'll be going along regularly for walks and eventually bike rides.

Mum was absolutely buzzing at the discovery. Being a massive lover of nature she was excitedly telling me the names of birds and was thrilled that her grandson would be so close to such a fantastic spot!

I'm looking forward to exploring the whole site as we only saw a tiny bit of it. I'll also take my camera down - water makes such a great focal point for sunsets. It's right by my favourite cafe too - win!






No comments:

Post a Comment