Monday 19 May 2014

uk.isidewith.com

A friend posted a fab website on her Facebook wall (www.uk.isidewith.com) which got my mind going about politics. 

Politics. A word that I wish I'd got to know a little better when I was younger. By know, I mean in its true form rather than that scary thing people love to hate and is deemed 'boring' and insignificant when young.

I would so love to have been interested when I was young enough to study politics and perhaps become involved professionally. Okay I may only be 26, but I don't think it's ever going to happen now. I've always been on committees at school and in work, trying to be a voice for people to make things better in some way, but never considered that I could do that on a greater scale.

I get fed up when all politicians get a bad name. We (the great British public) moan about politicians, but we're forgetting that you have to 'be the change you want to see in the world'. Someone has to do that job and although it may be a case of picking from the best of a bad bunch, we have to put our faith in others unless we have the drive to do it ourselves. The people I see moaning about politicians being from Eton or Harrow are people who haven't got the drive to even try and do it for themselves (me included!). 

Aside from the lack of knowledge, the main reason I couldn't be a politician is because it's so damn hard. We don't live in the perfect world and therefore what I'd want to change or make happen wouldn't always be possible. It's a game of compromises and I'd find it hard to stand for a party that I didn't agree with on some issues.

There are a few parties that I'd like to cherry pick from which the website results confirmed, but it did help reassure me that the party I vote for is the party that I sided with the most. 

It'll be interesting to see if my my opinions change over time and if I consistently vote for the same party throughout my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment